How A Quick Diagnosis Can Save You hundreds Of Dollars
Nothing causes more anxiety than cruising down the highway without worry and suddenly seeing the check engine light turn on. At Rizzoli’s Automotive, we understand how upsetting this can be. Since it can be an indicator of a variety of problems, we feel it’s best to be prepared. Here are some of the more expensive issues that can activate the check engine light on your car or truck.
- Oxygen sensor: This is by far the most common component to fail on any vehicle. While not the most expensive part, it deserves recognition because a faulty sensor can ruin your gas mileage.
- Fuel injection pump: Costing in the thousands, you can help keep this part in good working order by choosing the right fuel and getting regular tune-ups and avoid a hefty payout.
- Catalytic converter: Another common issue, replacing a catalytic converter is on the expensive side at a little over a thousand dollars. These failures often occur in tandem with preventable problems like a bad spark plug or ignition coil.
- Transfer case shift motor: Essential for four-wheel-drive vehicles, this allows you to change between drive modes. If you suddenly can’t go into 4X4, this is a three thousand dollar problem.
- Hybrid Battery: A car that even partially runs on electricity needs a good battery, and abusing yours by letting it run dry and overcharging it can leave you with a costly replacement. Take care of it by performing partial charge cycles, and it will last that much longer.
- Transmission assembly: The bane of all car owners, this is one job that even some experts bring their vehicles in for. It’s a pricey repair, but it’s worth the cost thanks to its complexity.
- Transmission replacement: Unless you are a well-learned and experienced do-it-yourselfer, dropping in a replacement transmission is best left to the professionals. For many car owners, when the transmission goes, it’s time to start looking for a new car.
- Hybrid inverter assembly: Hybrids make the list again with an expensive repair that may also signify a trip to the dealership.
Not all check engine light repairs are as costly as the ones on this list, and it takes a qualified and trusted garage to ensure you aren’t taken for a ride when that indicator turns on. Knowing what to expect is the first step in making educated decisions on whether repairs are worth it, or if a new car is in your future!